Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Reading Challenge

I would consider myself a voracious reader.  I read all the time – paperbacks, magazine articles, textbooks, webpages from the internet, and most-often e-books on my Kindle.  So when I recently stumbled across the Back to the Classics reading challenge, I thought I’d give it a try.  After all, you only have to read 6 books in all of 2014 – shouldn’t be that hard.  The difficulty for me, however, is that the books I normally pick up tend to be “easy reads” culled from my library’s current list of “what’s popular.”  Classic books don’t normally fall into this category.  But maybe it’s time to try something a little different while I wait for Nora Roberts or Michael Connelly to come out with their next books.  So here are my selections for the 6 categories.  I reserve the right to change my mind if I just can’t make it through my original choices.
A 20th Century Classic – Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury (1953)
A 19th Century Classic – The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain (1876)
A Classic by a Woman Author – Agnes Grey, Anne Bronte (1847)
A Classic in Translation – One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Alexander Solzhenitsyn (1962)
A Classic about War – A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway (1929)
A Classic by an Author Who is New to You – The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton (1905)