Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Zoom Draw

It's been raining off-and-on here and in Kansas City, so on Friday I asked Violet if she wanted to have a DrawDay via Zoom. I found a good step-by-step how-to-draw website that we used for our model. Mine looks a bit more colorful, because I cheated and used the Procreate drawing app on my iPad. Violet used a pencil and crayons.
But even with such simple supplies (and no instant Undo ability), she is incredibly talented and fast. Right before we ended our session, she asked me if we should make this a weekly meetup. As long as this lockdown stays in place, it's fine by me. I might even learn a few new tricks.
On Sunday, the Chicago Urban Sketchers had another virtual meetup. The theme this week was East/West. You were supposed to draw the view looking east and then staying in the same spot, draw the view looking west. Since I already drew the view out my office window last week, I found an abandoned parking lot with nice views. The only trouble was the sun was shining so strongly that it kept drying my paint and it gave me a sunburn on the back of my neck.
I managed to finish both pictures in time to have a virtual throwdown (screen-share) with some other sketchers. As it turns out, I think Courtney was the only one who was actually in Chicago. One lady was still snowbirding in Florida. Another was in Dallas living with her sister. Her 180-day world cruise was cut short a month ago, when they made everyone get off the ship in Australia. I'm glad this  pandemic didn't happen to us last year when we were on our double cruise.