Sunday, May 31, 2020

Zoom Sketching

This week I had 4 sketchouts on Zoom. The first was an international meeting for all the administrators of urban sketching groups. This is a fairly large group of people, so we had over 4 screens of tiny people-pictures to scroll through. Since it was an international meeting, there were folks from all over the world. Luckily my time slot for logging on in the Midwest was 8am, but some people in Hawaii were logging on at 2am.
On Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, one of my traveler friends posted pictures of her trip to Peru she took last year. She was doing it 2 different times in order to work around different people's schedules (though since most people are working from home right now, I'm not sure that matters).
For me, painting the same pictures 2 days in a row was a chance to go back and add more color and detail. When we're at our regular sketchouts, I barely have time to get the picture drawn on paper.
On Saturday, we had another Zoom sketchout only this time we drew faces. We tried sharing each other's screen, but Zoom has been implementing a lot of security controls recently, so that didn't work. Luckily, I had some portraits from Google Images handy so we did some 2 and 5-minute contour drawings.
Then we tackled the entire screen of all 12 of us. Since we had to draw quickly, most of my characters have a Fred Flintstone look. Courtney sat in on this event, and of course all her sketches look like professional portraits. I should have invited Violet to join us, but she took off for Florida.