Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Chicago Visit

I decided to brave the airport and take a trip to see Courtney. I haven't seen her in 5 months (that's a long time for me). You're supposed to wear a mask in most public places right now, but I'd say over half the people in the airport either weren't wearing one or had it pulled down around their chin. You absolutely have to wear one on the plane though, or you aren't getting on. It was much easier to wear the mask on the airplane, because the air conditioning was on high, so the air was really fresh. Plus the plane was spotlessly clean. No one is allowed to sit in the middle seats - yeah! They can make this a permanent change, in my opinion. I'd probably put up with wearing a mask all the time if I didn't have someone right next to me.
On the way to Courtney's condo, I passed a courtyard that was brightly decorated with colored lights, flags, stuffed animals, and beach toys. Courtney said the residents started putting things out when the lockdown first began, but it has grown into quite a "zoo" since then. It looked very festive.
Chicago just recently loosened up their lockdown, so Courtney and I headed out to the lakefront to do some sketching. We managed to find a secluded spot away from the trails that were so crowded with bikers, joggers, dog walkers, and stroller pushers. It was a nice sunny day, but much more humid than it usually is in Chicago. I'm glad I got to see my "baby" and eat some deep-dish pizza, but I'll probably hold off on any more airport trips until the summer crowds die down. Unfortunately, who knows if kids will be heading back to school in the fall.