Friday, July 3, 2020

Summer Fun

My friend took me out for a belated birthday treat at Ted Drewes - a Cardinal Sin sundae. And let me tell you, this thing is RICH. It's loaded with huge cherries on top of frozen custard and the whole thing drenched in hot fudge sauce. Yum! We had to eat fast, because it's so hot out right now. I wasn't sure if Ted Drewes would be open with the lockdown, but they've implemented that Disneyland-style queueing with little 6-ft markers painted on the pavement.
On Field Trip Friday, I got up early to go biking on the Katy Trail. Even though 4th of July is on a Saturday this year, I think most people are taking a day off work on Friday, because by 9:00am people were pouring onto the trail. I'm kind of surprised given how hot and humid it is outside. The Missouri River is incredibly muddy right now - not very picturesque.
I stopped at the Sugar Creek Winery to eat a snack and sketch this sign. It was way too early to go up to the patio for a glass of wine, but I'm guessing it'll be a popular stop for bikers later in the day. I noticed I cut off the tree standing right next to this sign, which I'm guessing is the "judgment tree." I had to look it up, but according to Wikipedia, it's where Daniel Boone held his court. Hmmm... I also read that this isn't just a winery. They also make Judgement Tree Vodka. Having found that out, now I'm sure that bikers will be making a refreshment stop here.