Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hiking & Biking


I saw this poor little guy when I went out to find the local Starbuck's. He's got to be the ugliest bird I've ever seen - very hairy. Today I went hiking on the Eastern Lake Trail in search of a geocache. I tried to do this trail last December, but the trails were flooded out about a mile into the park. Guess what? They're still flooded. But did I give up and turn around? (Is my middle name "Celine"?) I backtracked to the service road, and then tried hiking in that way. On the geocaching website, someone said they found the cache by driving down the service road. Trouble was I got to a point where the road split off in 3 different directions. I felt like the Scarecrow in the "Wizard of Oz." The GPS was pointing hard to the right, so I took that fork. Trouble with the GPS is that it can turn on you in an instant, which of course it did about a half mile down the road. So I backtracked out again and took the next fork. Pretty soon, I stumbled on the trail again (this portion was dry). And I even found a little bench for taking a break (good thing, because I was already 2 hours into this "quickie" hike). I continued on down the trail another half mile and amazingly found the cache - a lime green Nalgene bottle sitting right out in the open (hard to miss). By the time I got back to the condo, my feet were killing me; but the sun was glorious today and the weather was in the 60's, so I headed down the the beach. I took off my shoes and walked in the surf. Between the cold water and the shifting sand, I felt like I was getting a foot massage. So I'm really worn out, but all in all it was a great day in Florida.