Saturday, May 14, 2011

YMCA Camp


I went to YMCA Camp with my former students on Friday. The weather was fickle (as it usually is here lately) and we got a bit of rain, but at camp you go out even if it's wet. The cabins were instantly covered in mud (good thing I wasn't one of the chaperones staying overnight). After several wrong turns (you'd think a bus driver would carry a GPS these days - have you ever tried turning a big yellow school bus around on a rural road???), we made it to camp in time for lunch - chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, green beans, and cookies (the menu hasn't changed much in 50 years). Then we started out on our afternoon activities. I didn't get to ride my horse, Blackie, (which I've had the "thrill" of doing the last 2 years), but I got to take the girls on the Zip Line, where you climb to the top of a telephone pole and then zip across a large field along a clothes line. I didn't have time to do it myself (thank goodness I had to leave early to bring the 5th graders back; only the older kids spend the night), but it was fun watching the girls do it. According to them, you end up with a giant wedgie from the harness.