Friday, January 27, 2012

Sketching from the Boat

I took a class a few months ago that taught you how to make quick watercolor sketches when traveling using a small, travel-sized paint set and a water brush (the water is stored in the handle of the brush).When I took the class, we just practiced using pictures from the internet. Turns out that's significantly easier than trying to paint from the rolling deck of a cruise ship.It was fun to get up early each morning (before the deck chairs were all taken), and make a sketch of whatever I saw looking over the side of the boat or out the window. (I think I spooked this man by including him in the painting - he got up and moved to another seat before I finished.)However, it's tricky working this way. Since the wind was usually blowing pretty strongly, I had to work really fast before the paint dried. And controlling the water flowing out of the brush handle was a bit frustrating at times, as it either trickled or gushed, but they didn't turn out too bad.