Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas Trains

I got my new membership card to the Botannical Garden in the mail, so I celebrated by going to see the Christmas Gardenland Express train and flower display. Unfortunately, I think half of St Louis had the same thought - it was pretty crowded. But the displays were absolutely stunning. Most of the forest scenes were constructed from real plants. There were many different varieties of poinsettias, but the red ones mixed in with the miniature red roses were the most vibrant against the greenery.
There were several tiny container gardens interspersed among the displays. This one was called a Christmas Fairy House, though my picture would have been more "magical" without the giant "please do not touch" sign. They were also sponsoring a silent auction for Christmas wreaths donated by various businesses. It was hard to pick out just one, because they were all really pretty, but the one shown below with the wooden lantern was probably my favorite. It looks a little small in the picture, but it was actually about 3 ft wide.