Friday, March 8, 2013

Columbus

I'm on a consulting trip to Columbus - capital of Ohio and world headquarters of Nationwide Insurance. I knew the former fact, but I didn't realize the prominence of Nationwide in Columbus. Everywhere you look you see their name - buildings, parks, and even the street outside the hotel. I can see their 40-story tall headquarters building outside my hotel window, which looks very beautiful at night, but doesn't photograph well with my camera. The convention center is right next to the Arena District - one of those restored areas with cobblestone walkways, lots of restaurants, and more Nationwide signs.
Columbus seems to be very bike friendly. I saw very decorative bike racks all over the downtown area, but since there is so much snow, I didn't see too many bikers. I'm guessing the bike racks hadn't been shoveled out when this person parked his bike.
I went on a walk through the downtown area and found this statue next to their court building (very clever). When I walked behind the statue, I looked down on the Scioto River. It's not big enough for commercial boats, but they have a lot of really nice parks and walkways bordering it. All the snow, however, makes too much walking a pain. The temperature warms up just enough during the day to turn everything into a slushy mess.