Thursday, April 18, 2013

Paris Day 15

The funny thing about wandering around and taking a back street to avoid a bunch of tourists, is that you stumble upon hidden treasures like this without even trying. This is the Cluny Museum (no relation to George Cluny). It was once the home of Mary Tudor, wife of Louis XII, and is now a museum of medieval art.
I was actually looking for Saint Sulpice church in the St Germain area. This was my second time to go looking for this church. Even though it is only slightly smaller than Notre Dame, it is almost completely hidden by the surrounding buildings.
This church has a long central interior with many side chapels dedicated to individual saints branching off of it. Looking at the list of saints was like looking at the names of half the Catholic schools in St Louis.
I was also looking for an art store I'd heard about called, Gilbert Juene. While this store had some art supplies, I think it was actually a university book store. I found a really neat calendar with pictures done by Toulouse Lautrec.
The people in Paris are always cleaning. Every day, they literally wash the streets and sidewalks in front of my apartment (good thing, because I don't think dog owners know how to use pooper-scoopers). This man was not just cleaning the sign above his cafe, but waxing it.
I was close to the Luxembourg Gardens when lunch time rolled around, so I stopped at the cafe inside the park. I'm getting very good at ordering, especially if I just go for the "plat du jour." It's always very tasty and reasonably priced (the special today was quiche). I noticed that many of the people speaking English in this cafe were ordering cheeseburgers though.