Monday, April 22, 2013

Paris Day 18

 
I took the Metro over to the 9th arrondissement today and when I came up the steps, this building literally took my breath away. It's the Opera Garnier. This opera house was the setting for the novel and subsequent musical, "Phantom of the Opera."
When I got up close to the building, I could see carvings of famous composers between each archway. Lots of people who work in the area come here and eat lunch outdoors while sitting on the steps.
There are a lot of businesses in the 9th arrondissement. I thought this Apple store looked more like a museum than the stores we usually see at the mall.
I walked up to the Gare St Lazare - a popular train station. It's known for this clock statue out front, which I'd originally thought of sketching, but there was a lot of construction going on in the area. I didn't think I'd survive an hour of listening to the jackhammer.
I walked back to the Printemps and Galleries Lafayette department stores and had lunch in the cafeteria on the 6th floor. Buildings aren't very tall in Paris, so there were great views from the 6th floor. I got a table near a window with a view of the Eiffel Tower. Their cafeterias are similar to those in the US with a salad bar and various hot and cold plate options, but the biggest difference is that they sell little bottles of wine right next to the bottles of coke.
When I left the department store, I accidentally went out a side door which emptied onto the street where tour busses were dropping off loads of tourists. Most of them snapped a quick picture of the Opera House, but then headed right for the department stores. I literally had to fight my way out of the store (like a salmon swimming upstream). I saw this church at the end of the alley (Eglise St Louis d'Antin) and ducked in to get out of the crowd. This was a much, much smaller church than most of the ones I've visited, so consequently it was in much better shape.
I don't often go out in the evenings (I'm usually too exhausted), but I keep catching a glimpse of the sunsets out my apartment windows. So I took a walk down to the Seine and saw people out fishing off the quai and eating picnic dinners. It was much more laid back than the hustle and bustle of the crowds at lunchtime.
sd