Sunday, December 16, 2018

Elf on the Shelf

In 2005, Carol Aebersold and Chandra Bell wrote a book about a magical elf sent from the North Pole to watch over children at Christmas. Supposedly, the elf sits on a shelf all day watching people and then heads back to the North Pole at night to report to Santa who is naughty or nice. I personally find a doll watching me all day long and then slinking around at night somewhat creepy - sort of like Chucky, the doll whose soul belonged to a voodoo practicing serial killer.
So I decided to save $29.95 (the going rate for Elf on the Shelf at Amazon - $39 if you want the DVD), and instead bought Rodney the Reindeer at Dollar Tree. My original intention was that I would use Rodney as an inspiration for exercising and take him on long walks. So far, however, Rodney has accompanied me to McDonalds, a robotics competition, and my sister's with the only steps I've taken being the ones from the car to the front door.
I thought it would be fun to let Rodney meet Violet and Lincoln's elf on the shelf (his name is VioLin). However, in the process of setting the 2 up for a picture, I inadvertently touched the elf - an error of epic proportions judging by the scream emitted by Violet. After a quick Google search, I discovered that in order to restore the magic to the elf, I needed to get down on my knees and apologize while sprinkling a little cinnamon on his head. So now everyone is happy and the only trips Rodney and I take together are to the refrigerator to open up a can of DP.