Sunday, May 12, 2019

KC Visit

Every time I go to KC, I forget to take pictures. It's usually such a whirlwind visit and time screams by (especially with little kids). I finally got to meet Hazel in person. She's only a month old, so while she's somewhat big, she's very wiggly and squirmy (ie. hard to hold onto). She seems like a very happy baby. Maybe she's resigned to living in a house with a lot of noise from 2 siblings, 2 dogs, and all of Jamie's power tools.
We went out to a Mexican restaurant for a belated birthday dinner (always my favorite). I brought the kids sticker books from Dollar Tree (I'm such a big spender). I went with Janet to pick up Violet from Kindergarten. It's a very different process these days. All the pickup cars line up in 2 rows along the circular drive. We got there at 3:20pm for a 3:55 dismissal and there were already cars in front of us. You can't get out of your car or you'll be yelled at by the security guard. At 3:55, you hold up a big sign on your windshield with your kids' name and the security guard calls it into the gym monitor (where all the kids are sitting). The gym monitor calls out the names and the kids file out along a particular sidewalk (you can't run across the grass). It's so different from when we went to school and the kids just all raced out the door willy-nilly. I'm frankly surprised someone hasn't invented a pick-up app for your phone - you know like my Starbucks app where you just call ahead and your kid is waiting for you at the curb.