Sunday, January 7, 2024

New Year, New Goals


While most people were sleeping in on New Year's Day, I decided to take advantage of the sun and go on a First Day Bike ride. Even though the temperature has been getting up into the 40's every day, the snow just doesn't want to melt. As long as the trail is clear, though, I'll go out. I rode over to Panera's and used my Christmas gift card to have lunch - luckily autumn squash soup was still on the menu (yum!). So the first box was checked off for my goal to ride my bike at least 52 times (once a week) in 2024. 


Keeping with the fitness theme, I joined the Hiking Club at Sandstone Ranch on Wednesday. The trail was very icy, so I had to wear ice cleats the whole time. But the heat from the sun got so strong that I ended up shedding my coat. One of these days I'm going to take my sketchbook to this trail, because the red rock formations are gorgeous,


Along with my biking goal, my main theme for 2024 is "something old and something new." Every month, I'm going to resurrect something that I used to devote a lot of time to but haven't in a while. It can be a hobby, an activity, a project - just something I haven't done recently. Along with that, I'm going to try to learn one new thing. This month, I'm resurrecting Procreate on my iPad to make my own digital cutouts for junk journals (like the kits people sell on Etsy). Along with that I've been learning how to use Canva - the app that many Etsy sellers use to make digital junk journal kits quickly and easily (kind of a drag-&-drop piece of software). So far, I'm having a lot of fun with Procreate, but I'm not all that impressed with Canva. It's easy to use, but the results seem very cookie-cutter and not very creative. I think that's why we're seeing so many "low content" digital products on Amazon these days. Oh well, I'm not planning to open an Etsy shop; I just wanted to see what all the buzz was about.


In family news, little Goldie Celine celebrated her 2nd birthday this week with a field trip to the roller rink. Good grief, I can't believe how nimble she is on those skates!