Friday, April 22, 2011

Do-Overs


I've been trying to recreate the roses we painted at Artfest. I started with a pencil sketch on a very large sheet of watercolor paper, and then wet each leaf individually with water and laid on drops of ink. This time I thinned the ink down with a little water in hopes that it would bleed a little better. I still found I needed to play with it a bit (smoothing the inner edges and pushing the ink to the outer edges). The pigment in my ink (Higgins' is the brand) is very heavy, almost granular in appearance.


I made Teesha's 16-page journal to try out the new watercolor crayons, Golden fluid acrylics, stencils, and stamps I bought for Artfest. I've decided I like cold-press watercolor paper much better than hot-press. The smooth surface of hot-press might be better for marking pens, but it sure doesn't seem to take watercolor paint as well as the rougher texture of cold-press paper.