Thursday, December 8, 2011

Walking Home

I decided to walk home from school yesterday. It was cold out (low 30's), but very sunny. The Science Center is right across from the school (there's a tunnel that runs underneath the highway), and I always love the big red bow they put on it each December. I have no idea how they get it up there with such a Star-Trekkish roof shape.I thought I'd stop off at the zoo and look for my adopted snow leopard (I'm a zoo parent), but the only "cats" I found were of the construction kind. It looked like the zoo was undergoing a major renovation. Probably a good time to do it, since I think I was the only visitor there. This is the closest thing I found to a caged creature - part of the Wild Lights nighttime display.I continued on over to Art Hill which is very green at present, but will be covered with snow in another month. Art Hill is an extremely popular place to go sledding in the winter. When I got to the bottom, I laughed at the brand new line of hay bales ringing the lake. I guess some of those sleds can really fly down the hill and the Park Dept doesn't want them ending up in the lake.I found this grotto at the west end of the park. By this time, I was beginning to question my decision to walk home. I'd already been walking for an hour and I was only halfway home. It's about a six-mile trek (around a quarter of a marathon), but my inner frugality wouldn't allow me to head back to the MetroLink for only two stops, so I continued trudging along. The walk through Wash U's campus is mostly uphill (bummer), but once I got into the residential neighborhood, it was fun looking at all the Christmas decorations. Finally, two hours after leaving school, I walked through my front door. What a workout!