Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Technology Conference

I worked the International Technology and Engineering Educators' Conference in Long Beach, CA this week. When I arrived at LAX, I decided to try out their mass transit system rather than wait for the shuttle. Very, very nice. Not quite as frequent as Chicago's EL train, but clean and fast. The Long Beach Transit Center turned out to be right behind my hotel (the Renaissance), so it was really convenient.
It was warmer at home than it was in California, but it doesn't matter where you are when you are stuck inside an exhibit hall. They all look alike - windowless. When I got to the convention center to set up out booth, it was totally empty - no banners, no catalogs, no sensors, nothing. I learned from the shipping manager that all our equipment had been sent to Philadelphia, which turned out to be technically true, but it had also been shipped back. After LOTS of hassles (thank goodness for cell phones), the missing equipment (19 cases) was finally located at a warehouse across town. Sam (my partner) and I got a late start, but managed to put everything together in time for the opening.
The Long Beach Convention Center is located next to an area along the waterfront called, "The Pike." We headed over there for dinner and ate at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Factory. I got to sit on Forest Gump's park bench (see his box of chocolates next to me). I had 4-Way Shrimp for dinner (boiled, fried, coconut, and teriyaki). Unfortunately, 3 different people were celebrating birthdays. I thought the singing serenaders were loud at Chevy's, but they have nothing on the waitstaff at Bubba Gump.