Thursday, June 7, 2012

In Portland

Whenever I'm in Portland, people always assume I am on vacation, because the sun stays up so long in the summer making it easy to run around at night and do things. But I really do work when I come out here. My latest projects are these breadboards and a new robot. The breadboards are actually little build-your-own-sensor projects - temperature, light, water, and a photogate. Very simple and cute. I doubt we're stealing sales from the company, but it helps kids understand the way things work.
The robot is called "Fetch." We shoot a ball into the cup on top of the robot with our new projectile launcher and Fetch will bring it back to us. When we press the orange button, he goes back to his starting position, so we can shoot the ball all over again. It sure beats having to crawl around on the floor looking for the ball each time (we're shooting tiny little metal balls). Most of the time, people come by my desk and accuse me of doing nothing but building toys. What can I say - it's a great job.