Monday, July 30, 2012

Snow Leopard

I finally got to see my snow leopard today. I am a zoo parent and this is my "son" - at least for this year. Actually I think this is a female, because she came out of the cave (behind her) after giving the other snow leopard a good cleaning with her tongue. I'm guessing the one laying around inside the cave is the male.
I also tried my hand at plein-air painting - something I've been wanting to try all summer. Trouble was, there were no benches at the zoo. So this sketch was done very quickly while standing up and trying not to drop my paint brush into the jaguar's lair. He looks more like a dog than a jaguar, but I did very little pencil sketching before jumping right in with paint, plus the jaguar got tired of me staring at him, so he got up and left.