Thursday, October 25, 2012

Journal Class

I had my last journal class on Saturday. There are actually two classes left, but I'm going to be working out of town. We practiced using gold gesso this week. Unfortunately, the pages in my book are so porous, that they soaked the gesso right up obscuring everything underneath. If you use it on slicker paper, whatever is printed on the page will show through the gesso. (I painted my leftover gesso on a glossy brochure from the zoo and it worked much better.) This week's theme was "Sea Change." I don't think the gold really relates to the sea, but I added some fish to make it look like an aquarium.
I actually seem to have better luck doing artwork at home than I do at a class. I can't seem to be creative under pressure. This is a picture I did after watching a YouTube video by Christy Tomlinson.