Saturday, April 27, 2013

Happy Birthday Paris Day 23

I woke up with good intentions to spend the day painting, mapped out a route to some interesting sites with benches, and after an hour gave up - too cold to sit outdoors for very long.
So I went on a "treasure hunt" to look for a delicious, decadent birthday treat. It's the weekend, so everyone is out on the streets - tourists, locals, you name it.
I stopped at the Cafe du Pont Neuf for a late afternoon lunch, and ended up ordering beer and pizza - neither like something you'd get at home. The pizza was made with goat cheese (much tangier than straight mozzarella), and the beer was dark, but very sweet (almost like drinking Cold Duck). I had intended to take my leftover pizza back to the apartment to eat later for dinner, but the waiter didn't speak English and I didn't know the french for a "to-go box." I found out later that the French frown on taking leftovers home (normally, I don't have anything left on my plate).
 

I did finally decide on a birthday treat - six macaroons, one to represent every decade I've been around. I thought that was a pretty fitting end to the day.