Monday, April 29, 2013

Paris Day 24

The weather in Paris seems to follow a similar pattern to that back home - cold and rainy on the weekend, but brilliant during the week. Good thing I don't have to go off to work during the good times. Instead of fighting the crowds at the Bastille market today (Sundays are VERY popular), I went looking for the Raspail market over in the Saint Germain arrondissement. I'd seen a picture in my guidebook of a merchant who made potato pancakes. I found him and ordered two different kinds - one I know had cheese (fromage), but I thought I was also ordering one plain (nature). Evidently nature does not mean "natural" like I thought, but something about vegetables, because my second pancake had shredded carrots in it. Oh well, they were both good, though not nearly as good as my grandmother used to make.
I walked through the park on the way back to the apartment. I saw several kids launching little sailboats with long sticks. It was fun to watch, but when all the boats were sitting in the middle of the pond, I wondered how the kids were going to get them back.
They were also giving pony rides in the park. This poor pony looked about as tired as I feel some days after walking for blocks and blocks around the city.