Sunday, April 14, 2013

Paris Day 11

I started off the day with mass at Notre Dame and then went to Place des Vosges. Built in 1612, it was the first "planned" city park in Europe. What was supposed to be unique about this park was that all the houses that surrounded it were built to the same design - kind of a pre-cursor to tract housing.
The weather turned really warm and sunny today, so I think almost everyone in Paris was out. People were thick along the grassy banks of the Seine riding bikes, having picnics, and starting on their summer tans.
I grabbed a shot of these street performers doing acrobatic maneuvers while roller blading. I think the costumes are a bit cheesy plus they were playing the Paris lovers' theme song from their iPod, but the crowds seemed to love it.
Every Sunday the book sellers line the sidewalks above the Seine. A lot of the books are just old paperbacks (mostly French, some English), but I found one stall that had old mathematics and science textbooks. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the vendor. I think a lot of them do more socializing than selling.
I'm starting to draw a lot of rubber-neckers when I pull out my sketch book and paint brush. I stopped to draw this cute little cafe, because it looked so colorful and friendly.