Monday, April 15, 2013

Paris Day 12

I went back to Pere Lachaise today to sit outside and do some sketching. There are a lot of famous people buried here. One of the more popular gravesites is that of Oscar Wilde, an Irish writer and poet. The statue on his tombstone is supposed to be a modern representation of an angel (I had to look this up, because I couldn't quite tell what it was supposed to be at the cemetary). They had to erect a glass barricade around this tomb, because female mourners kept leaving bright red lipstick kisses on it.
I tend to gravitate more toward tombs like this one for sketching. I like the traditional style, plus there was a bench in front of it.
While walking home, I passed this electric car charging station. I've seen stations like these in a few places in St Louis, like the Science Center. I've never seen them right out on the public street though. Seems like it takes up a lot of prime parking real estate (finding an available parking spot in Paris is horribly difficult). I think these are rental cars.
Today was cleaning day at the apartment, so I decided to post a few pictures of it. Whoever designed this space did a tremendous job; it is so efficient. The picture on the left is a view of the main living area looking toward the windows. There is a TV across from the couch, but all the programs are in french. The door to the left goes into the bedroom. The middle picture is a view of the living area from the other direction. The kitchen has just about everything you could want - microwave, dishwasher, mini-refrigerator, and a whole host of cooking utensils. It even has a small washer/dryer for doing laundry. The landlord said the kitchen is usually the easiest thing to clean, because people never use it; they eat out in the cafes. The door to the right goes into the bathroom. It's small, but very new and clean. I really like the glass shower, because it's got two showerheads, a towel warmer, and lots of hot water.