Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Paris Day 13

I was walking by the Hotel de Ville this morning and saw a sign for a Haute Couture Exhibition. This building isn't really a hotel at all, but the City Hall where the the mayor and his administrators have their offices.
We couldn't take pictures inside the exhibition, so I pulled out my sketchbook and drew out a few. This is actually a mini-collection of historical fashions by designers like Dior and Cardin; the full collection is in the Galliera Museum.
I did some exploring in the Latin Quarter and St Germaine area of the Left Bank. There were small art galleries everywhere. It was like going to a variety of different museums for free.  I stopped along the way to buy a sandwich at a patisserie owned by a couple Italian women. The older lady handed out big chunks of parmesan cheese while we stood in line. The merchants always ask you if you want your sandwich heated. Usually I don't, because I'm heading home, but I was heading to the park for a picnic lunch. No microwave for this lady; she put it in a grill that made the bread really crisp and toasty. The sandwich was absolutely wonderful.
I ate my sandwich and did some sketching at the Luxembourg Garden. Tons of people were out doing the same thing and enjoying the day.
On the way back to the apartment, I passed a bookstore that was selling books for 20 cents. I'll probably regret buying a big book like this when it's time to lug my suitcase home, but the pictures inside were really pretty and I like all the french words.