Sunday, May 4, 2014

Weekend Update

I always keep a to-do list on my desk to remind myself of little jobs I need to get done. Most of the time, I'm much better at making the list than actually executing the tasks, but this weekend I was able to cross off quite a few items. Since the weather finally warmed up, I planted a tomato plant in the back yard. I haven't had a vegetable garden since we moved away from Manhattan, Kansas the year Courtney was born. We've got a lot of trees in our back yard, so there isn't much sun, but I decided to give it a try anyway. I've got a rose bush and a peony bush that seem to do OK, so maybe the tomato plant will, too. I put a heavy-duty wire cage around it, though, since the squirrels seem to already have their eyes on it.
I finally finished Molly's jean jacket. This tiny little coat really gave me fits. What I need is a tiny sewing machine to make it with. I think I ripped out more seams than I put in. Bruce said he liked it though, and wants me to make a jean jacket for him. I'm sure it would be significantly easier.
I'm teaching a summer camp on remote-control robots. I've never used a joystick to control a robot before, so it took me several days and a lot of cussing to get this one working. I've decided my next book should be "Robots for Dummies," because I sure could have used one on this robot.
I managed to take advantage of the sun-filled day and try out the new Greenways bike trail. It runs along the cross-town freeway, so it's not very peaceful, but it was a quick, easy way to get across town without having to ride on city streets. I rode over to the Sensory Garden in Clayton. It's a cute little garden where you are supposed to be able to see, hear, taste, touch, and smell the plants. The lilacs were really, really fragrant. I'm not sure how you can "hear" a flower, but there was plenty of laughter and screaming coming from the kids at the playground right next door.