Saturday, November 24, 2018

Thanksgiving

We took our annual trip to Chicago for Thanksgiving. I went up a few days early to do some sketching and try out my new toned paper. I sketched views from Argo Tea, Velvet Taco, and Uniglo.
Of course, I had to sample the treats at each location, my favorite being the tacos. They were having a Thanksgiving special featuring a Turducken taco, but I skipped that in favor of the brunch taco (chicken tenders, bacon, and apple slaw in a waffle taco) and the shrimp and grits taco.
Courtney and I went to see a Broadway production of Dr Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
It was a good choice to put us in the Christmas mood, but I think I prefer the movie version a lot better - less singing and more meanness by the Grinch.
On Thursday, Bruce and Courtney got up early to make the turkey. Courtney's new condo is so much more spacious than her old place. I always had an excuse before for not helping, because there was never enough room for 3 people in her kitchen. That isn't the case anymore. But there really wasn't anything for me to do, so I just warmed up leftover pizza for breakfast (Chicago deep dish, of course).
The other 2 wanted a more traditional breakfast, so Courtney and I walked over to Ann Sather's for cinnamon rolls and Starbucks peppermint mochas. It was a nice walk, but rather cold since Courtney lives so close to the lake and, unfortunately, I seriously doubt the 3-mile walk burned off all the calories I consumed from the holiday.