Friday, March 1, 2019

February Exercise Challenge

I constantly see videos on YouTube that claim if you do squats for a month you'll go from the picture-on-the-left to the picture-on-the-right. So on Feb 1st, I started the SPLAT challenge where I did Squats, Push-up planks, Leg lifts, Arm circles, and Twists for a month. I was up to 35 a day by month-end, and I'll have to say that the YouTube videos were lying.
Of course, at the same time I was also engaging in my New Year's resolution to use more apps on my phone - February's pick being the Starbucks app. I'll have to give Starbucks credit for creativity. They turn buying drinks into a competitive challenge - the more drinks you order from your phone, the more stars you earn. After only 3 purchases, I was up to Gold status and after 4 weeks, I'd earned a free drink. Unfortunately, it's been cold in San Diego, so I'm not ordering my usual zero-calorie iced tea, but a 440-calorie peppermint mocha.
On the positive side, I usually take my peppermint mocha with me when I walk up the hill to Balboa Park to sketch. So even though I didn't set a walking goal this month, I logged 317,012 steps in February. The soles of my shoes might be worn out, but my calves are rock-hard.