Saturday, July 20, 2019

Moon Walk

Today is the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong walking on the moon, so to celebrate the Moonrise Hotel was having a costume party on their rooftop deck. But since it was 96 degrees outside, Bruce and I decided to eat lunch in the air-conditioned Eclipse cafe instead (plus I didn't want to wear my black NASA t-shirt in this heat).
The Moonrise is a boutique hotel with a space-themed decor. They have several display cabinets in the lobby with NASA memorabilia, as well as an assortment of space toys ranging from a LEGO lunar lander to a Buzz Lightyear doll.
One of my favorite items was this chess set. The pawns were astronauts, the rooks were space shuttles, the kings were suns, and the other pieces were planets.
This quirky old radio kind of looks like the robot, B-9, in the 1965 TV show Lost in Space. I think I should try to find one to go with our other antiques. It would add a touch of class to our dining room.