Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Happy Birthday, Charlie


Charlie is 3 months old already with a personality roughly equivalent to an 8-year old boy (according to the American Kennel Club). I can believe it, because he is very smart and VERY active, but also a bit of a rascal. He's getting tall enough to steal our clothes off the bed and dressers. Luckily, he hasn't learned how to open the closet doors yet.


Charlie's favorite toy is a ball with streamers hanging off the sides. It reminds me a lot of Lincoln's flag football games where the kids have to rip the flags off their opponent's belts. I bet Charlie would win the game for them.


Charlie loves to dig in the dirt, especially when Bruce is working in the garden. This week, Bruce planted one of my peace poles for me. Charlie ended up so dirty that I had to give him a bath (not his favorite thing to do).


Most dogs like to sit in the sun, but Charlie prefers the shade. If Bruce goes out to do yard work in the middle of the afternoon, he's on his own. Charlie watches, but doesn't venture out to help.

Last weekend, I took Charlie over to the Pooch Plunge at the family pool. I think families with kids seem to have much larger dogs, because the pool was overrun with Labradors and Golden Retrievers. Charlie was literally petrified by all the big dogs. And even though he loves water, he wouldn't go inside the gate.


It was such a traumatic experience for him that he came home and took a nap. I think he likes the "over-55" side of the neighborhood better.


This week was our last Pickleball Round Robin of the season. I ended up not playing much this summer. The other players are just too competitive and pickleballs really hurt when you get hit with one. I'm not talented enough to hit the ball back, nor quick enough to get out of the way.


So I guess I'll stick with biking. This week I biked the first 8 miles of the Highline Canal Trail. The first 2 miles go through a really pretty canyon. The trail is an old, abandoned service road for the water department. Miles 2-8 were a combination of crushed rock and dirt. While the entire trail is classified as "multi-use", that section of trail runs past several ranches, so the horses have really torn up the trail. My arms were aching after dodging so many potholes and horse pucky piles. I've gotten spoiled with the concrete trails in our neighborhood.