Thursday, September 7, 2023

Happy Birthday, Court


Hard to believe that my baby is 40 today! Boy does that make me feel old. She's celebrating the day in Chicago, but coming to Denver in October. She and Bruce are planning a trip to Moab, UT. Courtney is doing a driving trip across Utah to visit the Mighty Five national parks. Bruce is going to go with her to the first 2 on the route. 


Labor Day always reminds me of Courtney. She wasn't born exactly on Labor Day back in 1983, but just 2 days after. This Labor Day I went downtown and met up with some of the Denver Urban Sketchers. We were a very small group, but it was fun to sketch an historic building. Most of my sketches these days seem to be from patios of coffee shops (which usually means I'm drawing a parking lot or the strip mall across the street).


Last week's coffee shop was the Duffeyroll Bakery. Duffeyrolls are like yeast-bread cinnamon rolls only a bit crunchier. I couldn't decide which one to bring home to Bruce (since he is a HUGE fan of cinnamon rolls), so I bought their assortment box. You can see that Bruce bit into one before I could take the photo. I don't blame him. They were delicious.


We had good weather this week, so I got several more chunks of the Highline Canal biked. Our Bike Club rode downtown on Tuesday to the Olive & Finch Bakery. I think I need to ride more and snack less - I'm looking a little chunky in this photo. Our route intersected the Highline Canal Trail, so I veered off on the ride back and picked up a segment of the trail I'd been missing. 


The Highline Canal Trail is very pretty, because it goes through some old Denver neighborhoods. But many of those older neighborhoods are large properties where the owners have horses. And since most of the Highline Canal Trails are multi-use crushed gravel based, horse riders use the trail alongside bikers, joggers, and dog walkers. I don't mind it that much, except when I have to dodge a big pile of horse pucky. 


There must also be some artists living along the trail. I passed this bench carved out of a huge old fallen tree. It actually might be a work-in-progress, because there's an equally long section to the right that looks unfinished. The person who carved this has some amazing ability. 


Bruce has been taking Charlie on walks every day out on the gulch trail behind our house. He originally thought it would help Charlie burn off some energy, but I think Bruce is the one who's been coming home pooped. 


Since we're running into fall, Bruce has been transplanting some flowers that I planted last year. Charlie doesn't think he moves quick enough though, so he decided to help with the digging.