Monday, September 23, 2024

Last Day of Summer... Bummer


So, to celebrate the last day of summer, we took Charlie to the Pooch Plunge at the neighborhood pool. They always open up the pool to dogs on the last day of the season before they drain away all the water for the winter. We weren't sure how Charlie would react, but he went nuts running around sniffing everything (dogs, people, pool chairs, discarded tennis shoes). Poor Bruce was trying to get a good picture, but Charlie just couldn't seem to stand still. At one point he jumped into the water after he watched several other dogs jump in, but I think the water shocked him, because he jumped right back out.


I did my own celebration by attending ComicCon at the Aurora Municipal Center. I'm sure it wasn't nearly as large as the convention in San Diego, but it was fun. It was held in conjunction with the library, so there were some interesting talks by authors of fantasy books. If I go next year though, I'll have to come up with a costume. Steampunk, Star Wars, and anything with an animal tail seemed to be popular themes.


Earlier in the week I went on a couple bike rides. Our bike club rode over to the Fika Coffee Shop. It's becoming a really popular destination for our rides mostly because they have such a nice seating area. But we may not be able to go there much longer with the temperature starting to drop. 


I went out by myself on Monday back over to Morrison in the foothills. I rode through Bear Creek Lake Park which is pretty, but grueling. There's a golf course down in the valley, so the bike trail has to run up over the hills. You can see Morrison on the left through the gap. It's about 800 ft lower than the top of that hill. 


While I was out riding, Bruce took Charlie on another hike up into the mountains above Morrison. Bruce is always afraid Charlie might not be able to keep up, since he's kind of small. But it's turning out to be the other way around - Bruce has trouble keeping up with Charlie. It's kind of nice having him pull on the leash, as long as he's pulling you uphill and not down.


I decided to skip joining a new Ladies Out to Lunch group this summer, but I met up with some of the women from my old group for lunch one day. We went to Tino's Kitchen, which is a Mexican place. I had the enchiladas, which were OK, but I think their breakfast options looked a lot tastier. I've noticed that a lot of Mexican restaurants around here are open early for breakfast, but close around 2pm in the afternoon. Maybe I'll have to find a Ladies Out to BRUNCH group.