Saturday, January 29, 2011

Stacked Journaling


I've been trying out some of the techniques described in the Sketchbook Challenge (see sidebar for link). This one is called "Stacked Journaling." Stacked journaling simply means writing the same words over and on top of one another. The two words in this composition are "today" and "tomorrow." Some of the writing is in black pen, and some in red. The journaling part is easy. The harder part is creating a good background. I'm using an old novel for my journal, so the text shows through in a few places. I scraped on blue, red, and yellow acrylic paint with a credit card (my painting tool of choice for acrylic). Then I overlaid that with a glaze made up of blue acrylic thinned with matte medium. The yellow circles come from a stencil I made with my hole punch and a piece of card stock.