Monday, July 4, 2011

Camping

As one of our retirement hobbies, we decided to try out camping. The 4th of July weekend in the midwest is probably not the best time or place to start, but we had a good time. We went to Kankakee River State Park so that I could bring the kayaks. The river was really flowing well from all the rain we've had this spring. Courtney joined us for the day on Sunday and brought down a great picnic lunch. (Whether it's indoors or outdoors, cooking is always a challenge for me.) There were a few tents around us, but most folks seemed to be "camping" in 25' long RVs complete with air conditioning and satellite TV. Our tent and self-inflating sleeping pads were very comfortable (I got some really good deals at the REI outlet store); what we missed the most was a shower, especially in 92 degree weather. But since I still lean more toward a lodge than a tent, I'll worry about that some other time.