Saturday, July 2, 2011

Online Class

I just finished an online art class called, Unlocking the Secrets of Color with Jane Davies. The class involved painting with acrylics - a medium I have never been able to master. First we learned to paint 12-slot color wheels using only 3 colors of paint (very interesting how different shades mix together); then we moved onto collage. One of the things I found most intriguing was learning to make my own painted papers to use in collages. This even turned out to be more fun than making the collage itself - certainly less stressful, because you didn't have to worry about composition. I particularly liked her technique called spritz & blot - you apply two layers of paint (one over the other), then spritz it with water, and blot it with a paper towel. The water loosens the top layer of paint exposing the bottom layer beneath. FYI, the paper I used in the bottom right corner is actually part of the paper towel I used in the blotting technique. Just goes to show, you never know what's going to look good!