Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas Journals

I saw a YouTube video by Kathy Orta on how to make a December Daily journal. I'd never heard of it before, but there are tons of videos with how-to's on the same theme. It's sort of like an Advent calendar only in journal style. There is a separate photo matte or pocket or tag for the 25 days in December leading up to Christmas. Kathy posted her tutorial on November 1, giving people plenty of time to make it and then use it in December. I didn't see her video until the Friday before Christmas, so it was all I could do to just make the thing (it's huge). The base structure is made from manilla file folders with decorative papers glued onto all the flaps and pockets (it's over an inch thich when it's all closed up). It was fun making it, but I'll have to wait until next year to fill it.
After finishing the December Daily, I found a much, much simpler file folder project by Susie McGuire. This one's more like a pocket Christmas organizer with places to write gift ideas and shopping lists. It even has a pocket to hold your coupons or receipts. This was easy enough to make that I put two together from the scraps left over from the December Daily.