Monday, January 21, 2013

FTC Round 2

I ref'd the FIRST Tech Challenge robotics contest yesterday (notice my very own new ref shirt and yellow safety glasses?). I saw some real improvements in robot design, because about 12 of the 36 teams competed in December and several other teams went to the event in Arkansas (I think their chances of winning were better there). But the competition turned out to be quite a disappointment. Once again, most of the robots sat through the autonomous round (the sensor-based part), and the driver-controlled part wasn't much better. I found out that most of the teams were still BUILDING their robots the day of the competition. Doesn't leave much time for practice, and since each robot takes 2 drivers to control it, practice is critical to success. Oh well, the tech teacher from Nerinx showed up to watch. Maybe the girls will get a team together next year and show the boys how it's done.