Monday, January 21, 2013

More Art Journal Pages

I spent the last few days trying out some Color Wash spray inks. They are water-based, which allows you to do some neat effects, but can also be tricky if they bleed into each other. The nozzles also seem to be a little uneven in their spray patterns (the gold comes out in a big puddle, but the blue tends to come out in big drips). The neat thing about the ink is the way it highlights any kind of rough surface (I stole some of Bruce's drywall tape to make that cross-hatched texture).
The interesting thing about them is that if you spray clean water onto them, it dissolves the ink back to the nearly white paper. I laid an alphabet stencil down over the picture above before spraying on the water, so the alphabet shows through the ink. (BTW, the three girls are me and two of my sisters at Christmas many years ago with our new dolls.)
On this one I used a damp paper towel to blot up some of the ink right in the middle of the white paper - MISTAKE. It dissolved the ink and turned the background paper yellow (you can tell how much dimmer it is than the first photo). My Collage Club has a saying that "there are no mistakes in art, only opportunities." Since the ink is the last thing I spritzed on after a day of putting this together, I'd prefer to avoid any more "opportunities."