Thursday, October 24, 2019

Art Retreat

I spent 3 days on an art retreat with the watercolor society. It was at the Toddhall Retreat Center in Columbia, Illinois - a quiet, 45-acre property just across the river.
The grounds were beautifully landscaped with walking paths, a pond, and a meditative labyrinth garden. Even though the days were a bit cold and windy, I was able to get outside and do some sketching as long as I was sitting in the sun. At night we played games and watched DVDs. It felt a lot like being at summer camp.
On the last day, they had a raffle drawing for various prizes. I won an art magazine on tips for painting outdoors in winter. It was an interesting magazine, but I really can't see myself going outside in the snow. I have a hard enough time staying out for an hour when the temps are in the 40's.