Monday, December 4, 2023

Bath Time


One of my main criteria when I thought about getting a dog was getting one with brown hair. Since we live in a high desert part of the country with lots of dirt and very little grass, I didn't want a white dog that would look dirty all the time. Unfortunately, no matter what kind of dog you get, they all manage to get dirty. Luckily we have a pretty large laundry sink that just about holds Charlie long enough for him to have a bath.


Charlie may not like baths, but he certainly looks whiter and fluffier after having one. You could hardly tell he had white tips to his feet before he had his bath. Of course, about a half hour later he was back outside, but this time he was rolling in snow - wet feet, but no dirt.


Only 3 of us were brave enough to go out riding this week. I bought myself a new thermal quarter-zip shirt which really helped to keep me warm. Riding up hills always helps a lot, too.


I'm not doing any refereeing this year, but my head ref friend, Fred, has really gotten into the Christmas spirit. Actually I think it's a little freaky how much he looks like Santa. I wonder how many kids gave him their Christmas lists.


Melissa's family participated in the UTV Christmas parade in Pleasant Hill this week. I think their vehicle looks amazing with all those colored lights, but they all look very cold riding around in a car with no windows.


Janet and I have made it to Barstow, CA in our virtual walk/bike. She's a little ahead of me (like usual), though this week I got laid up for a few days with a bout of food poisoning. YUK! I hate throwing up, but sometimes it really makes you feel better. 


As I search for pictures to highlight this trip, I'm always intrigued by some of the quirky things you find when you get off the interstate. This truck stop in Barstow is the old train station. Barstow was once a huge railroad town, so the McDonalds decided to build its restaurant inside 3 train cars. If I'm ever back in California, this is one place I'd love to stop and have lunch.