Monday, May 27, 2024

Happy Memorial Day

Memorial Day traditionally marks the opening of swimming pool season. Melissa's kids have been swimming for a couple weeks. But Colorado kids need thicker blood to hang out at the pool, because that mountain air is so chilly. 


I volunteered to help with the pool opening, which basically meant setting out all the pool chairs and umbrellas for people who were brave enough to show up. One fun new addition to the pool deck are some white plastic loungers that actually sit in the water. I think those will be really refreshing on a hot, sunny day. The lady behind me is the head of the social committee. I really like her, because her motto is to spend every penny of the budget on fun stuff.


Spring has finally come to Denver and our perennials are blooming. My neighbor has been spending hundreds of dollars buying metal yard art off Etsy. I bought a plastic pink flamingo at Dollar Tree to offset all the brown mulch and rock in the yard.


The lamb's-ear we planted last year from just a little sprig has grown over 3 ft wide almost completely hiding the peace pole and rocks behind it. I'll probably end up moving the peace pole to a new spot, because there's no way I'm digging up that monster plant.


Our HOA, in their infinite wisdom, told us we had to take down our outdoor trash enclosure, because it was made of resin rather than wood. Bruce sent back a scathing reply telling them that half the house was made out of resin, including the outdoor deck and siding. They sent him back a response asking if he'd like to volunteer for the grounds committee. Sheeesh!!! Rather than continue the hassle, he moved the trash dumpsters inside the garage. But he had to rebuild the step railing, because it was a couple inches too narrow for the dumpsters to fit. Always something...


I've been doing a little spring cleaning. When we bought the house, I thought we had tilt-in windows, but they are really take-apart windows and I've heard horror stories about getting them put back together. I thought about just hosing them down, but then I found this squeegee on Amazon that really does the trick (no ladders).


My bike club rode to Castlewood Canyon State Park this week. I made it most of the way, but turned around before actually getting there. Twenty-six miles is a little beyond my fitness level, especially since we were battling 15 mph winds.


We took Charlie on a hike to Hidden Mesa. It's loaded with prairie dogs which he is fascinated with. We weren't sure how he'd handle walking on a rocky trail, but he loved it.


Afterwards we stopped at the Fika Coffee Shop to do a little socialization training. Everybody brings their dogs when they go out to eat. I didn't know if Charlie would behave with other people and dogs around. But he kept trying to sniff my mocha. I think Charlie wished we'd gone to a place that served puppuccinos (whipped cream in a cup).


When we got home, Charlie was so dusty that I threw him in the shower with Bruce. He actually seems to like that (Charlie, not Bruce). His hair is finally starting to grow out a little, so he doesn't have that scalped look. If nothing else, he's cooler and it's a lot easier to brush him now.