Thursday, July 18, 2024

Urban Sketching Workshop

Every year Courtney and I attend the Chicago Urban Sketching workshop together. You can take classes (which Courtney always does) or you can join the sketchwalks - heading off to various sites to sketch for an hour (no instruction involved). I prefer the latter option. 


This year Courtney did both - she joined me in the mornings for the sketchwalks and took classes in the afternoons. But this time, Courtney also volunteered to head up the social committee, which mostly meant she was in charge of the food for the opening and closing receptions, as well as making coffee every morning. So while she was busy with her hostess duties, I usually headed off to Starbucks. I think there's one on every corner in Chicago.


We were pretty fortunate Friday and Saturday, weather-wise. It was fairly hot (especially for Chicago), but dry. However, Sunday morning it poured down rain for an hour (nothing like adding more moisture to already humid air). The sketchwalkers headed over to the 900 North Michigan shops - an upscale skyscraper mall. A bunch of us sat down to sketch the Chocolate Bar. Normally, I would be tempted to buy some chocolate, but most of the stuff in the display case was a pinky-yellow color. Not sure what that would taste like.


Rather than wait until Monday morning, I headed back to the airport late Sunday afternoon. Right before we boarded the plane, I noticed the pilot outside inspecting the plane. With all the wheels that have been falling off Boeing planes here lately, I hope he remembered to kick the tires.